Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Champion

He had won. He was too old, an unknown, an underdog of such proportion that his winning could only be described as a miracle.
In his one and only media interview he was asked how he did it. He answered, "The only way that miracles exist is through doubt. I did what I did because I believed it. People who believed it was a miracle or otherwise,  doubted. I'm not special. I didn't find the cure for cancer, or save humanity from itself. All I did was swim one length of the pool really, really fast. It took hard work, tears, sweat and even blood on occasion. But I trained and lived in the now and never doubted that I could do it from moment to moment. I'm not a hero and I don't wish to be. I don't want money or fame. I just want to live my life alone and be happy. "
Then the interviewer pressed the Champion more and asked, "Is there a secret to success?" The Champion answered, "No."
The interviewer looked puzzled and asked, "What do you mean?" The Champion answered, "There's no secret only the illusion. You still doubt what I did otherwise you would accept it without question.  I've been accused of cheating, using drugs and even making deals with the devil, but the only thing I can be guilty of is a trick. I created an illusion in which I was a champion and I believed it. The trick was that you all doubted it. That's a miracle."

No comments:

Post a Comment