Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I Love Max

I'm sure the title of this post may be embarrassing to my son, but he'll get over it. The title is really a reminder for me, because in the heat of battle of wills between father and son I forget.
I do enjoy the emotion of the angry son, it reminds me of myself, and in the unleashing  of his "the world  revolves around me" attitude, I feel my fire has been stoked. I'm like, "Bring it on baby!", I got 32 years on you and... oh...wait a minute, I sound like my father. Hey...I am a father! This is how my father felt. This is exactly what my father wished upon me. I'm awake now! I tell myself to calm down. I douse my fire with a little understanding and forgiveness. I tell my son, " I love you" and he responds with, "Whatever!". It's at this point that I stoke my fire with a log of experience, wisdom and "who do you think you are?" I quickly remind him that if he would like anything from me he'll have to change his attitude. After all ... I have the resources: car, money, shelter and I know how to shut off the water heater. Have a nice shower tomorrow morning. I'm going surfing...where the water is already cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment